People suffering from sinus pressure are always looking at how to relieve sinus-type pressure. This is because with sinus pressure, you suffer from severe headaches that make everyday routines difficult. There are various causes for sinus pressure like air pressure and temperature changes, some illnesses like sinus infection or a cold and allergens like dust or pet dander. If you are one of those thousand people suffering from sinus, here are some tips to how to relieve sinus pressure.
Ideas For Getting Relief From Sinus-type Pressure
1) Try pouring boiled water to a large bowl and adding a cut, raw onion to it. Then place a towel to cover your head and bowl like a tent, and breathe in the steam deeply for as long as the water is hot. Inhalation of these vapors help open sinus passageways, which also helps provide relief from sinus pressure.
2) Another option you have on how to relieve sinus pressure is to add 3-4 drops of eucalyptus oil to the boiling water instead of raw onion as eucalyptus oil helps open blocked respiratory passages. In case the sinus pressure stems from a bacterial or vial infection, it’s better to add 3 drops of tea tree oil to the hot water as the antimicrobial and antiseptic properties of tea tree oil helps treat a sinus infection.
3) How to relieve sinus pressure suggests adding cayenne or spicy peppers to your food as the capsaicin in cayenne helps relieve sinus pressure inflammation. Consequently, it helps improve circulation in the painful areas of your face. You can do this by sprinkling cayenne pepper on chili or burgers or perhaps by adding fresh hot peppers to a salad.
4) Another treatment option for relieving sinus pressure involves pressing your index fingers over the middle of your eyebrows, and massaging the area using small and circulatory movements for about 15 seconds. Then, move your fingers to the area in between eyebrows and massage. This acupressure technique can be repeated as often as required.
Herbal Assistance With How Best To Relieve Sinusitis Pressure
5) Sinuses pillows help provide the answer to how to relieve your sinus pressure. When laid across your face, the rice of flaxseed in it applies acupressure to your sinuses. These pillows are filled with rice or flaxseed to act as a base for the pillow, which is joined with various herbs and spices.
6) You just have to first heat the pillow in the microwave for about 15 seconds, and once heated, its heat stimulates the herbs’ aromas. The herb thus helps in the opening and drainage of the sinus passage. You just have to leave the pillow on your sinus areas for about 30 minutes wherein you deeply inhale its aromas.
This pillow can be reused, just make sure you store it in the refrigerator when not in use. These pillows are also helpful when cold as it reduces sinus pressure inflammation and refresh tired eyes. Just ensure you don’t overheat the pillow as it risks burning your pillow.
7) You can always use antibiotics for your answer to how to relieve sinus pressure. Your doctor will prescribe the right antibiotics, which helps clear the infection and shrink the inflamed sinuses. Antibiotics are usually prescribed for a course of 10 to 14 days.
8) You could also use prescription nasal sprays for how to relieve sinus pressure that develops from allergies. Allergens like dust and pollen enter the nasal passages when you breathe, and get trapped in nasal passages. This leads to swelling and consequent blockage of mucus in the sinus passages. This thus leads to increased pressure on your head, nose and eyes. For sinus passage relief, you just have to spray 1-2 sprays in your nostrils every 4-6 hours wherein it shrinks and opens your nasal passages to let mucus flow through it.
9) If you wonder how to relieve sinus pressure with cold compresses, read on. You can get gel filled facial masks in pharmacies which you have to freeze for maximum relief from sinus pain. Place this mask on your face for about 10 minutes, and make sure it covers your eyes, cheek area and part of the forehead. Repeat this 3-4 times a day for complete relief from sinus pressure. In case you don’t have the time to look for and buy a facial mask, a frozen damp wash cloth provides similar relief and results.
10) Solutions to how to relieve sinus pressure includes taking medications like Advil or Motrin. These are anti-inflammatory drugs that provide relief from the sinus inflammation. You just have to take 1-2 tablets 2-4 times a day and they work at shrinking nasal passages and in providing relief from sinus pressure pain.
11) You can also use alfalfa tablets to help dry your sinuses and reduce the buildup of sinus pressure. This medicinal herb is available at the local general nutrition store and can be taken in tablet, fresh or dried leaf form as a nice way of relieving sinus pressure.
12) Humidifiers also help provide relief from sinus pressure as it helps increase moisture in the air. This in turn helps relieve congestion and dry up all the nasal passages. This helps in relieving sinus pressure as once the air humidity is increased; it alleviates stress that causes sinus pressure. Taking a hot bath or shower also provides some relief from sinus passage congestion.
What You Eat Can Impact On How To Relieve Nasal Congestion
13) It is always better to stay away from people suffering from colds and flu if you suffer from a sinus infection. Your body immunity levels are already down with your sinus infection, and you don’t want to invite more health problems. To improve your body immunity, you have to eat more of healthy food.
Eat more of fresh fruits and vegetables and get plenty of rest. At least take catnaps as they help reduce the severity of a sinus headache as stress and fatigue only aggravates it. Drink more fluids as it helps in the drainage of fluids in your body by hydrating your body. Drinking hot decaffeinated tea is great as an answer to how to relieve sinus pressure as its steam reduces the congestion in your sinus.
14) Last, but not least, is possible, use extra pillows to elevate your head and in the process, help your sinus to drain.
With the help of all these home and alternative sinus remedies, you will definitely find the answer to the one question that has always prevailed in your mind, how to get relief from sinus pressure.
Nice variety of topics been covered - haven't seen this much on other sites.
— Norman Hunt, Oklahoma City,OK Jan 9, 2012
i like the herbal things - they have eased my sinisitis a lot. thankx
— Sherry Simpson, NYC Dec 9, 2011
gotta say its a lot of stuff on this site - and most of it is real usfeul stuff too. thankyou
— Benbo Apr 9, 2012
The range of possible causes and treatments for sinus problems is enormous, and your site does the subject justice.
— Carlos Weaver Mar 12, 2012
i appreciate the effort puit into this site - keep it coming
— Louis G. Wood Jan 29, 2012